Sunday, March 23, 2008

Interesting Easter

We had a great Easter this year, complete with the obligatory Easter egg hunt last night in which the kids found WAY too much candy (I'll be rationing it out for weeks!) and an early-morning scramble to find where the Easter bunny hid the filled Easter baskets. The kids were pretty excited about their haul this year. I caught them eating the candy from the Easter egg hunt in their beds early this morning. I was upset that they couldn't even wait until a decent breakfast, so mean ol' mom made them wait until after dinner to eat anymore. It was torture for them, I'm sure. I just don't like them being sneaky.



Our sacrament meeting was one I'll remember for a long time. We had a man come in about halfway through dressed in a trench coat and wearing a cowboy hat. He sat down next to a young couple in the pew right in front of us. I thought he was an investigator, but then he started to make really rude comments while the speaker was giving his talk, loud enough so people in the rows around us could hear. I think the speaker could hear, too, and it really threw him off. Poor Brother Wray! It's nerve-wracking enough to speak in sacrament meeting! I won't repeat what the heckler said, but it was enough to make my blood boil. Not very Christ-like, I know. It almost felt the same as when I was riding the bus in middle-school and some of the other kids would be saying awful, filthy things. I would feel my heart start to pound, and then I'd have stand up and give them a good tongue-lashing. I was just about to lean forward, tap him on the shoulder, and ask him to please be quiet so I could hear or step out in the foyer. But instead, I said a silent prayer and asked what I should do. I felt impressed to let it be. I must admit I was a little disappointed. I was thinking of all sorts of things to say to put him in his place and make him feel foolish. Again, not very Christ-like. I could tell Todd wanted to say something too, but I guess he had the same impression.

The bishop couldn't really see what was going on because the podium was blocking his line of vision, but he could tell something was up. Lots of people kept glancing over to our side of the chapel with really worried expressions on their faces. The bishop from the other ward poked his head in and motioned for our bishop to step out in the hall. Apparently, the police had arrived because the heckler had been to some of the other wards in the area and had disrupted their meetings. He had released lived doves in their chapel and declared himself the archangel Michael. Weird. He didn't get that far with our ward. Eventually, since he wasn't getting a rise out of anyone, he walked to the back of the chapel and the bishop was able to convince him to come out into the foyer. The cops were waiting for him and I think he got arrested. The meeting went on, and the rest of the block of meetings were wonderful.

I think he was saying all those inflamatory things hoping someone would challenge him, and then he'd be able to make a big scene and make his proclamation. Funny thing is, he picked about the most laid-back, reserved couple in the ward. They were uncomfortable with the things he said, but they weren't going to make a scene about it. I think it was divine intervention. He almost sat next to us, but Evi was taking up most of the extra bench space, so he looked at her while he was coming up the aisle, and decided to sit in the pew in front of us. If he would've sat next to me, I probably would have said something and given him an excuse to make a scene.

I'm just glad it ended the way it did. Todd said if the guy was a real psycho and tried to hurt anyone, he would've jumped the guy. Apparently lots of the brothers in the ward were thinking the same thing and were positioning themselves to act if needed.

I was trying to take a nap later on this afternoon, but instead I started playing worst-case-scenario in my head. All those kids! My kids! The twins! What would I do to protect them? I managed to scare myself out of a good nap.

2 comments:

esmiley said...

That's a crazy story! Good job holding your tongue too!

KMDuff said...

Crazy story! Glad you held your tongue and listened to the spirit! Wow!