Thursday, October 16, 2008

GERD, front packs, and master retreats

Here's a picture of the girls that I took yesterday. They're growing so fast! They're 6 weeks old! Yay! We made it through the hardest part! And it's almost like a switch has been thrown. They're sleeping at night -- going down at around 7:30 and waking up at 1 am and 4 am for feeding. That's it. Just two times a night, and usually they wake up at the same time. It's wonderful! Part of the reason I think things are going more smoothly is because I took Olivia in to the pediatrictian. I was suspicious that she had GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, or acid reflux) like Evi did when she was this age. She was showing all the symptoms, so the doc prescribed her some baby zantac. She's been on it for a couple days now, and it's like she's a whole different baby! She sleeps better, eats better, and is generally more happy. All I can say is thank goodness for priesthood blessings and small promptings that led me to take her in.
She does still have her fussy periods each day, but at least it's not all day, everyday. Between 3 and 6 every evening, she just wants me to hold her. She won't sleep and cries every time I try to put her in the swing or a bouncy seat. So I've resigned myself to toting her around the house in a front-pack. That way my hands are free and I can attempt to get dinner ready or fold some laundry.


Here's my view of my belly for those three hours every day. It feels like I'm pregnant again with all the weight in the front. But she's so darn cute, it's hard to be put out.

With happier babies who sleep during the day, I've had some time to redo our bedroom. It turned out better than I planned! Just a couple of cheap dressers from Ikea, less than $50 on fabric for curtains (from Joanns 50% off home dec fabric sale), a new comforter from Wal-mart (love it! Looks much more expensive than it was!) and moving all the unnecessary clutter into the closet, and voila! It's nice to have a beautiful retreat, especially after a long day with the kiddos.



10 comments:

Screwed Up Texan said...

Hey! I have your matching pillowcase that I got from a storage unit Freecycle deal. I dont have any use for it and if you were closer, I'd give it to you. Just thought it was funny that I got that the other day and here it is in your room!

You little ones are so precious! I cant believe how light their hair is :) Dont you just love babies?

Hopefully they wont fight mine do...are...

Brynn said...

You are an amazing mom! I can't wait to meet the twins - see you in a couple weeks.

Idaho Penningtons said...

Wow! Time is just speeding by! They look so cute!!! Wish we could see them in person!!!

ashley said...

Looking great Kristi!! I am glad you are on a schedule more and the babies are happier, life doesn't get better than that!! Your room looks wonderful too!! Way to go, I feel lazy thinking you have two babes and I only have 1 and I haven't done anything like that!!

Kristi said...

Ashley, it was mostly for my sanity! I had to feel like I was in control of SOMETHING! Even if it's inanimate! :)

Kristi said...

Brynn, I can't wait till you guys come, too! It's going to be so much fun! And Samantha is going to get spoiled by her aunties...

Just Only Me said...

You look fantastic, I haven't seen you without a pregnant belly yet. I remember you with one, the next time I see you I'll do a double take. You're beautiful.
Hey, if you find some "free" time, I tagged you on my blog! Don't feel pressure, I'm sure life is crazy enough. Just if you want something fun to do!

Original Kos said...

YAY! that's so great that you got to get some new things. happy you have a little retreat for yourself.

The babies are looking adorable!

esmiley said...

Kristi...when I read this post a few days ago, I thought, "Wow! She's amazing: 6-week old twins and a bedroom makeover!" It looks fabulous!

Also, I remember many, many afternoons with Grace in the Bjorn. She was a great baby, but always happier in the late afternoon front packing. Since she was my only one often we'd go for walks that way. The trickiest part for me was trying to bend over to the bottom crisper drawer of the fridge to get some lettuce without waking her up by knocking her little legs.

Kristin said...

The twins are so very cute and you look great, Kristi. I'm glad the babies are on a better sleeping schedule for you. I really like your bedroom. Sure do miss your sweet spirit here in Moscow. :)