Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Twinkle fingers


We took the plunge and bought a piano. It's going to be delivered on Friday. I'm excited! It's shiny and black and plays really nicely. It's a 48" upright Carl Ebel piano, made by the Perzina company. After exhaustive research, this one seemed like the best piano for our price range. It's made with all European parts, but is assembled in China to keep the cost down. It's the only piano made in China that's on par with the likes of Yamaha and Kawaii. The best part -- I was able to get it for 60% off of list price. Not the MSRP, which is artificially inflated to allow for negotiation room, but the list price. From what I've been able to find, getting 30-40% off list price is considered a great deal. So I'd say we got a screaming deal! Now I'm off to surf the net for the best piano curriculum. I'm going to teach my kids how to play. Anyone have recommendations?

7 comments:

rexburgskinners said...

How fun!Now your house will be filled with music! I love fletcher and thompson book 1 to start with. Good luck! Pretty piano too!!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Sounds like you got a great deal on a piano! You are so blessed!

ashley said...

fun for you guys. good luck teaching, i like teaching my kids, but find it difficult at times...i wish there were more smiles and less tears. on both our parts.hahaha

Kristin said...

How fun...sounds like you ended up with a great deal on the piano. :D

Teresa / Andy said...

Soooo exciting! I've loved pianos and their music for as long as I can remember.
There's a fellow named Jon Schmidt who composes and plays incredible contemporary piano AND writes instructional books for piano teachers. His teaching style keeps it fun and tries to avoid the tears of frustration. Might try it with your kiddos :)
His website is:
http://www.jonschmidt.com/catalog/index.php
Go to the education tab.

esmiley said...

I grew up on Bastian and Alfred books...I feel like I'm much better at playing chords then classical and partially blame their technique. I think my hubby had more well-rounded training. Some of his favorite books are "John Thompson's Modern Graded Course for the Piano." He still enjoys playing classical pieces from the upper levels of these books.

Angiegirl said...

I'll add my vote for the John Thompson series. I grew up on them and I'm teaching Will on them now. I think they're great. I also use the A Dozen a Day series for exercises. Good luck!