Monday, August 17, 2009

First day of school

Last Monday was Easton and Evi's first day of school. I'm still trying to get used to the kids starting so early. August 10th! Unheard of!


Evi started kindergarten. It's easier to send your second kid off to kindergarted than it is to send off your first. Still, I think I was the only parent that didn't park the car and walk her to her classroom and take tons of pictures. With the twins, getting in and out of the van is an ordeal that I try to avoid at all costs. I wasn't feeling guilty until I pulled away after dropping them off. That's when I saw the kindergarten playground, full of kids with parents who were more nervous about the first day of school than the kids were. Then the guilt struck with full fury. When am I ever going to be over this guilt thing???

They are in a brand-spankin' new elementary school this year. I was/am worried about how their education is going to go this year while the staff are trying to work all the wrinkles out of the system. There have been some unsettling signs already, such as Evi's kindergarten teacher being hired 5 hours before the Meet-the-Teacher Night the Friday before school started, and none of the kids being assigned teachers until a few hours before the Meet-the-Teacher Night. And the lack of communication between the school and parents is alarming. It took me several phone calls and lots of run-around before I could find out what time the school day started and ended. This is basic stuff, folks! Needless to say, I'm very concerned and I'm still actively trying to get both of them in a charter school down the street that has their act together.

On a positive note, I'm going road tripping. Just me and the twins are heading to La Jolla, CA tomorrow, where I'll meet up with my mom and then make the long drive up to Portland, OR to see some family, including my grandma who hasn't seen the twins yet. I'm REALLY looking forward to a change of scenery. Being cooped up in the house during the AZ summer is not good for my mental health.

3 comments:

ashley said...

wow, who's watching the kids? sounds like a crazy school, things will probably work out as they get going. i know how you feel though, i get concerned when it comes to schools. we are moving this weekend to slc and the kids will be starting school a few days in. the school opens tomorrow. it is a charter school with uniforms, so that will be different. good luck on the trip and with the mental health stuff..hahah!!

Kristin said...

Evie looks so grown up to me from when you left Moscow. :) Cute kids!

IrishAngie said...

They are so BIG! I know I probably say that on every single post, but it amazes me how kids change so quickly when we don't see them every week in Primary! Give them a good luck high five for me!