Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Car buying drama

So we're in the used-car market. After several episodes with our trusty-but-getting-old Honda Accord, we've both decided it's time for Todd to get a more reliable car. We'll be sad to see the old Accord go. It's a 1993 with 234,000 miles on it and hasn't given us many problems until the last year. It used to be my parents' car. I remember Dad driving home with it in Seattle (or was it Indianapolis by then?) in 1993 - the very first new car they'd ever bought. I was 13 years old.

See full size image

At first we thought we'd buy new. After a few weeks of emails and wrangling, the best price I could squeeze out of those darn car salesmen was still way more than I wanted. Still, it was fun to watch them sweat bullets as they saw us walk off the lot. They're hurting. And the kids got free juice and cookies, so they were happy.

So we've narrowed our search down to 3 used-car contenders:

See full size image
A 2006 Acura RSX

A 2005 or newer Honda Accord

A 2006 Honda Civic

I'll give you one guess which one Todd is partial to! Which one would you guys choose?

6 comments:

rexburgskinners said...

I love those Hondas. Avarie is driving a 1991 Civic. Older than her! It only has 80,000 miles too..they can go forever! Hopefully it will make it through 2more driviers...Maybe she will get lucky and have it when she is married with 4 kids too....lol.

Whitney Thompson said...

timmers would love that Acura. . . If I close my eyes, I can actually see him in it now. :)

Screwed Up Texan said...

I say go for the Acura only b/c I like the steering/manueverability of that vehicle more than Hondas. Good luck and can't wait to see what you end up getting!

Original Kos said...

Oh, Todd is the Acura. No doubt about that.

Our family now owns 5 civics collectively. Such a good, solid car! My parents seriously have 3 civics in our garage and driveway. It's crazy.
Good luck! A part of me wishes you could just splurge and get that hot car that Todd loves. You guys would look great in that.

Just Only Me said...

I've always wanted a pink car. Ryan teases me but it's honestly always been in my mind since I was a little kid. I guess this MAROON van is the closest I'll get! Good luck with the decisions, I'm no help!

Kristin said...

It's so true...most Hondas seem to go forever. We kept waiting and waiting for Jeremy's to die (which was very similar to your current Honda). So, I like either one of the Hondas. :) Thanks for the pink thoughts. Have a great Thanksgiving. :)