Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Hair Conundrum


Sorry about the bad pictures. It's hard to take picture of yourself in the mirror.

I got my haircut last week. I'm still not sure if I like it. I wasn't planning on going so short due to the MANY bad experiences I've had with short haircuts. But since this was the first time I'd been to get my hair done since before Thanksgiving, and it'd probably be that long until I went again, I wanted to make sure the $30+ I spent was noticeable. Not just a trim this time! And secretly, I wanted a haircut that made me look a little more authoritative and wise, since I'm spending a lot of time with the Beehives these days.

Most women will tell you there's a fine line between matronly, and cute and sassy when it comes to short hair. I'm not sure which side of the line I'm on.

Todd asked me on the way out to eat on Saturday if I liked my new 'do. He thought it was cute and sassy (he always says nice things about my haircuts. He's a smart guy). I told him I wasn't sure yet and I was still trying to decide if it just made me look middle-aged. He laughed and said, "Kritso (my nickname), guess what. You have four kids. You've been married for almost a decade. I think it's safe to say you're middle-aged."

Most women would get mad at this point. But instead, it made me realize that I'm really NOT that newlywed girl anymore. I still FEEL like I could walk back on BYU campus and fit right in, but maybe that's not true anymore. The four kids accompanying me would betray my life status.

But I'm not in mourning. I love where I'm at in life. Maybe it was time for my hair to catch up with me.

6 comments:

Screwed Up Texan said...

Well, I like your short hair! And your husband's remark made me laugh...my husband would probably have said the same thing and to be honest with you I probably would have glared right back at him.

BTW, My husband finally got your postcards mailed off today. Sorry it took so long to get them off to you. You should have them before the end of the week! Hope you like them as much as I do!

Idaho Penningtons said...

I like it! Cute and Sassy definetly! It is amazing how I look in the mirror and see this old lady but I am still 19 and at BYU!

ashley said...

nice hair cut!! i am realizing that i am pretty close to that middle-age too!! not too excited about it either. i don't feel that old, but man i am starting to look that way!!

Teresa / Andy said...

You could so easily go back to any college campus and blend in. If your kids didn't look so much like you, they could just think you were nannying for someone else :) I really love the new length - not too short at all!

Elisa said...

I LOVE this post. And I love Todd's comment. I was telling matt the other day that I was starting to feel a little older and I didn't like it. He responded by saying,'you're definietly more Mommish.' I was like, Mommish!? That's not really what I wanted to hear. But hey, we're moms and we love being mom's. I do hair three days a week still and I can tell you almost every woman has to go through the battle of what they want their haircut to say about themselves. I think yours is short and sassy-you should give in and like it. :)

esmiley said...

I like your haircut. And it's really not that short...just a lot shorter then it was.

And I totally agree with the older bit. Sarah was here last week between the end of winter semester and spring term. We were talking about her upcoming study abroad. So I pulled out my photo album of my study abroad. She was TOTALLY making fun of some of the clothes I was wearing in what feels like only yesterady...making me feel a bit older then I sometimes imagine I really am.