My ward now knows I can play the piano. Eek! I did a really good job of hiding that fact when I lived up in Moscow, and I was able to justify it because I didn't have a piano at home to practice on.
One of the deals I made with myself to rationalize buying a new piano was that I would share my talents and learn how to accompany musical numbers at church. This is really scary for me! I was trained as a solo piano player, not as an accompanist!
Well, my first attempt was last Sunday during Relief Society. I accompanied a trio of singers, and I was deathly afraid that I would stumble and mess them up. Thankfully, after much prayer, practice, and soothing of nerves, everything went off smoothly and it wound up sounding awesome, even though I only had 5 days to learn the new piece.
My next attempt is a going to be a little more daunting. I'll be accompanying the Young Women as they sing a song in sacrament meeting. In front of the whole ward. *gulp* I've had more time to practice this time around, so hopefully things will work out. Wish me luck!
P.S. Livy LOVES banging on the piano, especially when I'm trying to practice. I'm going to have to get her into lessons early!
5 comments:
After me playing the piano with Elder (then president of Ricks College) Bednar in attendance, I will NEVER play piano in public again.
I'd rather hide that talent...or lack thereof.
Now if anyone wants to see my mad bowling skillz, that's another story.
Good for you! It really is whole different art form accompanying people. It sounds like it came off splendidly.
way to go kristi!! what is great is that the more you play with people the easier it gets. at least that is what i have heard. i still get nervous even playing in primary at the last minute. i remember once playing for a recital and my stinkin leg wouldn't stop shaking the entire time. i was sure everyone could see it bobbing up and down. glad those days are over. have fun wowing everyone with your awesomeness!!
LOL, It's different, but don't sweat it. You'll do great. :)
You did hide that talent while in Moscow! :) Hope everything went well accompanying the YW. I'm sure you did fantastic!
Post a Comment