Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Compelled to be humble

We had a scary past couple of days. Kylie, who usually sleeps without a peep through the whole night, woke up at around 3 am on Sunday morning crying and with a high fever. Todd and I were unable to console her, and while trying to get some tylenol in her, she started have a seizure. She didn't come out of it even after a lukewarm bath, a call to the on-call pediatrician, and a half-hour drive to the ER. The neurologist later told me that he thinks she was having a seizure the whole time, until they were able to stop it in the ER, which was almost 3 hours later after they had tried several different drugs unsuccessfully. Very scary! So they had to run a bunch of tests to rule out something serious. A spinal tap to rule out meningitis (thank goodness I wasn't there to see that!), and EEG to make sure her brain was functioning normally and to rule out epilepsy, and a chest x-ray, plus blood work. Poor girl! By the time we were ready to be discharged late Monday night, she would automatically crawl to the opposite side of her crib every time the door would open, anxious to get away from whoever was coming to poke at her.


I was very touched by the ward members who stepped up to help. The EQ secretary was at the ER Sunday morning before I even got there (I had to drop the other kids off at Janece's) and had already helped Todd give Kylie a blessing. He then insisted that Todd bring the kids over to his house that night for dinner. He and his wife also helped get Easton and Evi to and from school on Monday. A sweet sister in the R.S. presidency watched Livy for us all day Monday. My visiting teaching companion brought over dinner for Monday night, and my visiting teachers brought in dinner last night. I came home Monday night to 13 messages on our answering machine, asking if Kylie was okay and if they could help.

Talk about the Lord giving you a smack in the head! He's been trying hard to get me to get over my pride and accept help when I need it. And sitting in that hospital room for two days, not knowing what was wrong with your baby, really makes you stop and look at the priorities in your life. Todd and I have had some long talks since then and are implementing necessary changes. Hopefully we won't have to be compelled to be humble next time!

5 comments:

Brynn said...

I'm so glad things are okay - scary couple of days. I wish I was there to help, but i'm grateful your ward was so helpful. Sure miss you and your beautiful family. ~ Brynn

rexburgskinners said...

so sorry about such a scarey time. Hope she is ok. You deserve the service, you've helped so many...it always comes around.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Well, as you know, I had a wake up call over the summer. It really made me think twice about my priorities as well.

Love you!

Elisa said...

Oh my goodness! That is so scary! Do they think she is going to be ok now? I'm so glad you guys had the help you needed around you.

Just Only Me said...

Thank goodness that things are better. So sorry you had to go through all that, what a scary thing!