Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Loss of a loyal friend


Early last Saturday morning, our dog Tibb passed away unexpectedly. It's been really hard for me the last couple of days to come to grips with the reality that he's not around anymore.

Todd and I were newlyweds when we brought Tibb home with us eleven years ago. He's been my constant companion and was with me through all my pregnancies. He didn't mind what a crazy person I was as I learned how to be a wife and mother and loyally followed me around the house all day, waiting for me to sit still long enough for him to jump in my lap for a nap. He was the first dog I ever had, and I'm convinced he was the best dog anyone could ask for.

We still don't know what happened to cause him to leave us so quickly. We knew he had a cold and had taken him in to the vet on Friday morning, but we didn't think it was anything serious and the vet sent him home with some antibiotics and instructions to bring him back in if he got worse. He must have taken a bad turn in the night while we were sleeping. I feel horrible that I wasn't with him when he passed.

Todd is encouraging me not to play the "what if" game, so I'm trying really hard not to. I just hope that he knows how much we love him and miss him, and how much I'm hoping I'll see him again on the other side some day.



4 comments:

Kristin said...

How sad :{ I'm sure he knows how much he was loved...how could he not with such an amazing little family! :}

Angiegirl said...

I'm so sorry, Kristi. I had my dog for 16 years, and saying goodbye to him remains one of the hardest things I've ever done. I know how you feel, and there are no words.

Emily said...

Oh, I feel for you so much!I know it's not doctrine, but it's hard for me to imagine we won't see cherished pets again. Hang in there.

Teresa / Andy said...

Hard to imagine your home without little Tibb! :( Thinking about you guys..