Saturday, December 29, 2007

The power of placebo

Yet another future blackmail picture of Easton! He woke up the other morning complaining that there was something in his eye. Todd couldn't find anything, and since Easton was still whimpering after running cold water in it, he came up with the idea of using some allergy eye drops and putting an eye patch on. In case it's not clear in the picture, Todd's version of an eye patch included a spare rag and one of Easton's belts. Easton wore it without complaining for about half an hour, after which he said his eye felt much better.

I have the sneaking suspicion that this is another case of the "band-aid syndrome". You know, your little kid falls down and bumps their knee, and even though there's no blood, they insist on a band-aid. Miraculously, the tears dry up as soon as the latex touches the skin. Todd and I decided that sometimes kids just need a little validation from their parents. Yes, you did get hurt, and yes, Mom and Dad are doing something about it.

3 comments:

esmiley said...

GREAT job getting a picture of this! Lately Grace insists on getting a kiss even if she just touches something unintentionally. I agree, I think it's all about validation.

KMDuff said...

Cute photo/story. :) Kids are fun to have aren't they?

Janece Perkins said...

I laughed so hard! Easton is such a character! When my kids get hurt they say, "No! It's not funny! It wasn't an accident it was mean!" I guess I've asked them too many times if their sibling meant to hurt them or if it was just an accident! And, I guess it means that I laugh too often when they get "hurt"! But, hey, sometimes it is really funny when they mistakenly get hurt while spinning madly out of control. I don't have the most graceful kids!