Why is it that when we make an extra effort to do an authentic homemaker thing, it never works out the way you want it to? I'm hoping I'm not the only one out there who has had this experience! :)
I found this really yummy-sounding recipe for real homemade chicken noodle soup online last week, and decided I'd give it a try. This was the real deal, no store-bought chicken stock or anything -- completely from scratch, which meant you made the stock, too. I piled all the ingredients in my newly-purchased stock pot, including a whole chicken (I HATE handling raw chicken, by the way, especially when it still looks like it's living self), and put it on a low simmer for four hours. About an hour into the process, I noticed that Evi was acting strangely (see pic above). She was holding her nose and breathing out her mouth. I asked her what was wrong, and she replied, "I don't like the chicken smell. It's stinky." So all my visions of serving my family a wholesome, homemade chicken noodle soup that they would eat up with gusto, went down the toilet. Kids are great at keeping us humble, aren't they? :) In the end, Todd and I ate the soup with gusto, because it was good -- much tastier than any chicken noodle soup I've had before -- and the kids ate bread and butter.
Thursday, October 4, 2007
Super-Mom, deflated.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Kids can't always appreciate quality! But I'm impressed you made the soup completely from scratch! I've just been trying to work up to making my own noodles. I don't want to do the whole boiling the chicken bit quite yet...
LOL! There you go. Who knows what kids are going to like and when. Another time you might make it and she likes it! Fun story.
My kids love making the noodles! (they're my favorite too.) But I tried a butternut squash last week... Let's just say that it really is a universal experience!
Post a Comment