Friday, January 16, 2009

Darn percentile curves

Am I the only one who really dislikes the percentile curves that the pediatrician uses on their babies? I really detest them. I especially don't like them using them on the twinners, because they're so radically different, it makes me start to worry. Kylie is 50th percentile for height and weight. Her head circumference is 75th percentile. She's got one big noggin. Olivia is 15th percentile for height, 10th percentile for weight, and her head circumference is 5th percentile. She's got a peanut head. She's just a petite little thing. Hmm. Wonder where she got that from? The pediatrician says she's going to have to keep an eye on her head. What's that supposed to mean? And what could you possibly do to make a baby's head bigger???


Here's some pictures that demonstrate what 70 percentile points will do to your tummy time. Work those neck muscles, Kylie-girl!


Olivia's mastered this trick, so she's on to other things, like trying to sit up on her own. She may have a small head, but there's lots of grey matter in there.

6 comments:

ashley said...

that is too funny. hey, issy never was on the chart and finally is and she is 5 years old. Now that petite gene is really a mystery. Will has a really hard time keeping his head up as well. I don't think he will ever roll over seeing as he never likes being on his tummy. It is funny to see him struggle though. Glad to hear the twinners are doing great though and life is settling down. Good luck with the job thing. Even though NEd has a job, it is only for 8 mo. and then they may or may not hire him permanently. So it is a little scarey. I am hopeful.. Good luck to you guys too. It is good to know that we have the LOrd on our side though, right??

KMDuff said...

Dumb charts, hate 'em too. :) There is so much room for error in the measurment too. A nurse mismeasured my second son's head once and the doc started talking to me about encephaly risks. I ask him to remeasure and sure enough, that 1.5 cm off took him into a "normal" range instead of a swelled head range. If the kid looks normal, I'm not concerned. Too much measuring.

Natalie said...

be proud of this - your two girls average out to make one perfectly normal baby! if it makes them feel any better, tell them their good friend natalie whom they've never met has one nostril like her mom's and one nostril like her dad's. alas, nobody is perfect :(.

Screwed Up Texan said...

Wow Natalie, that nostril thing is so interesting...I have one regular shaped ear and one pointed ear.
Kristi, your babies so precious and they look so happy! My oldest's head was always so big, but he eventually grew out of it. I remember at the doc's office at one appointment where the nurse practitioner just had to let me know that I was overfeeding my middle child and underfeeding my youngest. Lets just say that I took care of that problem...uh...er...nurse. :) She never bothered me again.
Your little one's look like they are doing well. Mother knows best.

Original Kos said...

You better watch out. Those girls are gorgeous! You Thompsons have the prettiest kids.

Elisa said...

yeah, i dislike the growth curve also. It's called genetics. We are what we are! What does one do to have the perfect sized head?? Nothing! We're just given one!