Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Roadtrip 2009

We spent 32 hours in the car and drove almost 2000 miles on our way to and from Rexburg.


Tibb really enjoys car rides. I think he likes that I stay put for more than a couple minutes, and he gets to sleep on my lap undisturbed for long stretches of time.


Easton and Evi were happy as long as the DVD player was going. They even learned how to turn it on and off themselves by the end of the trip, so Todd and I didn't have to keep crawling to the back of the van to set it up for them.


I was really worried about how the twins would handle the trip. They did awesome! Hardly a peep from either of them the whole time. I think it was because they got to watch Easton and Evi in the backseat the whole time.


There was some stunning scenery on the way, too. I'm not sure the pictures came out that great since I was taking them while the van was moving.



And once we got to Idaho, I was happy to see some thunderstorms. It's nice to know it still rains in some parts of the country, just not our part. And it was so GREEN!



After about 12 hours, I was pretty tired of looking at the scenery, so I looked at Todd instead. He had his earphones plugged in and was totally engrossed in an audio book, so he didn't notice me taking his picture. He's much nicer to look at than the scenery.


And for some reason, he still looks great after spending hours on end in the car. I was feeling a little ragged by this point. I had a horrible sinus infection, a deep chest cough, and I was losing my voice. I had to go in for antibiotics as soon as we rolled in to Rexburg.



We stopped north of Las Vegas to do some diaper changing, and as we were getting back in the van, we noticed our tire was flat. Todd had fun putting the spare on in the desert heat. Thankfully we weren't that far out of Vegas and were able to drive back and get it fixed without losing too much time.


A road trip isn't complete without an emergency pull-over to the side of the freeway. This one happened on I-15 north of Salt Lake.


We got to drive over the Hoover Dam twice. I've never been there before, and it was quite a sight. And the new suspension bridge is going to be amazing when it's done. I think it's a couple years behind schedule.

It was a fun road trip, but I'm glad it's over. No more long drives for a while.

2 comments:

Screwed Up Texan said...

We had a ton of emergency roadside stops. Made me wish I knew about the GoGirl sooner! lol

I miss Idaho. It is so green with beautiful mountains in the background. Alas, it also snows like crazy too. Maybe I need to get over this snow issue b/c it is really narrowing all the beautiful places down.

I've never been across the Hoover Dam. I really wanted to go this year, but I'm glad we got to see and do some other things in northern AZ also. Choices choices.

Glad y'all had a great time. Sorry to hear about you not feeling well. Love the sunglasses!

rexburgskinners said...

Looks like fun! What a blessing to have the babies so good in the car! Sorry we missed you when you were here. Please let us know when you are in town again! We'd love to see you!