Thursday, January 28, 2010

Feeling like a newbie mom

I'm addicted.

There are so many instances with these twinners that make me feel like I'm not a veteran mom. I've already raised two kids out of babyhood, right? I already know all the tricks, right? Well, for one baby at a time I do. Two at a time is throwing me for a loop. So many logistical hurdles to -- well -- hurdle!

Right now I'm trying to teach the cute little nuggets how to stay by Mommy and hold her hand whenever we're in public. I'm itching to wean ourselves off the double stroller. I dream of the day when we'll be able to walk, hand-in-hand, calmly through a store without having to lug the heavy stroller out of the van trunk. Or at the very least, be able to walk calmly up to the store and get them seated in a shopping cart (why don't more stores have more of those double-seated carts!!! Drat! Kylie's getting too big to sit comfortably with Livy in a one-seater.)

So I gave it a test run the other day. I left the stroller in the trunk during Easton and Evi's dentist appointment. I found a parking spot right by the front door and enlisted big bro and big sis to keep Kylie out of the parking lot while I unbuckled Livy. We made it through the front door, got signed in, and I was starting to feel smug about how easy it was going. Then Easton and Evi were taken back to get their teeth cleaned, and the twinners wanted to go too. One went through one door, the other through another, and I wasn't sure which one to chase first. This happened several times, and while the receptionist and other office workers thought they were the cutest and acted like they weren't bugged, I wonder how much of it was 'just being nice to the crazy Mom who can't control her kids'.

So, we still have a lot of work to do. I don't remember how I taught the older two. I honestly don't recall it being this hard to keep them close by. What was my trick???

5 comments:

Just Only Me said...

Bless your heart! I can't imagine what you go through, I know that my Carter actually GROWS arms whenever we go out. I can't imagine having DOUBLE that! You're amazing.

Just Only Me said...

(okay, that totally doesn't make sense unless you're in my HEAD--I mean that he SEEMS to grow arms and act like an octopus grabbing everything in sight!)

Brynn said...

Hmmm. Get a couple kid leashes??? Tie them together??? Did that with the dogs the first time I took the new puppy for a walk. It was hilarious - slightly cruel? maybe, but darn funny! Had that issue with Samantha a few months ago. She's doing better now. Not sure if the novelty just wore off or she's better at listening and understanding... You could try just letting one roam free while the other is in the cart??? Or would that just cause more problems? Good Luck! It's probably "just a phase" :) Love you!

Brynn

Jodi said...

Having worked reception at the Vet Office I'm telling you they weren't bugged in the least - they probably thought it was fun to have something other than work to think about. Mikayla is turning into a little escape artist these days I finally bought a kid leash backpack that was really cute and she loves it and wants me to hold her "tail". Timmy still acts like a two year old and runs off often but at least he will come back when I call (snarl) at him. It won't be forever it's just the age.

Screwed Up Texan said...

I wish I could put my four year old (almost FIVE) into a stroller even now. Or do as Aaron suggested and get a leash. Oh wait, did I just say that out loud?