Easton went in for a routine check-up this past week and came home with a nebulizer and instructions to use it for 15 minutes every 4 hours, along with some oral steriods to take once a day. Apparently his lungs are inflammed, either due to allergies or asthma. We'll know more after his follow-up appointment next Wednesday. If his lungs haven't improved as much as the doctor would like, she might refer us to an allergist. If the allergist can't find anything, than it's probably asthma.
Meanwhile, I'm on a guilt trip because I hadn't noticed anything out of the ordinary. Shouldn't moms catch stuff like this? I think the doctor was trying to make me feel better by saying that some kids don't act like inflammed lungs bug them that much because they've had it for so long, and that's what she thinks is going on with Easton. It just made me feel worse to think that he hasn't been feeling well for an extended period of time, and I haven't picked up on it.
Easton doesn't mind sitting still for four times a day with the mask on. I think he likes that he has my undivided attention for those 15 minutes. And that makes me feel even guiltier. Sheesh. Sometimes I think motherhood is an exercise on how to effectively handle guilt.

3 comments:
My oldest had to use a nebulizer while he was an infant b/c we took him to see his uncle and apparently his uncle's extrememly heavy smoking ended up irritating my child's lungs. I felt awful and decided to never take my child over there again.
You're right that it is about finding a balance in feeling guilty about the things we can control and the things we cant. Some things we think we can control and then discover that we cant always.
Just continue to do your best, and try not to feel guilty about things. Noone is perfect...we all love our children and do all we can to be good, attentive parents. You have a lot to do...I'm sure he's fine!
By the way, this is your mom's friend Pat. Partypatt is my Wii name.
i wait until the absolute last possible minute to take my kids to the dr. the last time i did that, issy was admitted to the hospital with RSV. so, i try to pay attention a little more now!!
Post a Comment